Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Lack of sleep tied to retained pregnancy weight

Insufficient sleep during the months after childbirth may play a role in the retention of weight gained during pregnancy, research suggests. Complete news at...

 Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP) is the most common treatment for obstructive sleep apnea (OSA). Except for tracheotomy, it is also the most effective treatment for OSA. CPAP is basically a computerized air pump that delivers pressurized air through a hose and then through a nasal interface into the patient's throat. The pressurized air splints open the upper airways, preventing the airflow pauses (apneas) and airflow... Complete news at...

Reasons for the association are unknown, researchers say Complete news at...

'Wake up-and-breathe' protocol appears to improve results, study says Complete news at...

Cutting down on medication, especially tranquilizers and antidepressants, and using wheelchairs and bed rails selectively, could help reduce the number of falls among nursing home residents, Swedish researchers report. Complete news at...

Lately, I have been talking a lot about difficulty sleeping, particularly insomnia. We have covered that topic fairly exhaustively, so I wanted to deal with a common occurrence, which when its chronic is considered a sleep disorder. It is something that we have all had at some time or another - nightmares.  "Because I said to myself that my bed would comfort me, my couch would carry me in suffering. You have terrified me with... Complete news at...

I previously posted about the diagnosis of insomnia, the difference between primary and secondary/comorbid insomnia, and the importance of evaluating for and treating any underlying causes of insomnia. I encourage you to read my Secondary Insomnia post before reading any more of this post. Today I will be talking more about medication treatment options for secondary (comorbid) insomnia. Although persons with primary insomnia (insomnia... Complete news at...

Do you snore? Do you have trouble sleeping because your spouse "rattles the walls" with their snoring? Are you are a little overweight and not fully refreshed by your sleep? Do you doze off a lot and just feel like you lack energy during the day? Then maybe the best holiday "gift" you can give yourself or significant other is an evaluation for sleep apnea. Ironically, we haven't really talked much... Complete news at...

0 comments: